It's a Boy, It's a Girl, It's a BABY!!!

My favorite part of not knowing the gender of my baby is how much it drives everyone else crazy. We don't think about it very often because it just doesn't matter to us - but everyone else seems to be really bothered by it. It actually makes it easier for me to not know, knowing that everyone else is so anxious to know. I get satisfaction out of keeping everyone guessing!

BY FAR, the general consensus is that we're having a girl. I think people just want us to be having a girl since we already have a boy. Most of the reasons behind peoples guesses have to do with Old Wive's Tales on gender predictions; How I'm carrying, the heart rate, what I'm craving, etc.

So I decided to compile a list of a few Old Wive's Tales I can find regarding Gender Predictions to get to the bottom of it all. We, of course, won't find out for absolute sure until the baby is here, but in the meantime we can have some fun with our Unofficial Research Project.

..........

I have a friend who swears by this Chinese Gender Calendar. It's based on your age and the month you conceived. According to this we are having a BOY 

A Mayan Tale adds the Mother's age at conception and the year of conception together, if the result is an even number then mom is having a girl and if it's an odd number it's a boy. For me this worked out to be an even number.... so GIRL

Acne - if you break out during your pregnancy you're having a girl, apparently because there are extra female hormones in your body. I have had pretty clear skin during pregnancy which means it's a BOY

I read that the side you rest on will reveal what the gender of your baby is. If you rest on your left side, it's going to be a boy. If you rest on your right side, it's going to be a girl. I mostly sleep on my right side, consistent with before I was pregnant. But according to this Old Wives Tale I'm having a GIRL

If dad-to-be gains weight while you are pregnant it's a girl, if he doesn't it's a boy. I'm pretty sure my husband has not gained any weight during my pregnancy, which means BOY

Apparently 71% of the time, mom-to-be knows what she's having by instinct. I still have no idea but so many people think we're having a girl that I'm starting to expect it to be a girl. I really don't have a gut instinct but at this point if I was forced to make a guess I'd have to say GIRL

Morning sickness - If you did not have morning sickness it's a boy, if you were sick at all during your pregnancy, it's a girl. I was definitely less sick this time than I was with Zachary, which would indicate we're having another BOY

Baby names - if you can only think of a name for a specific gender, that is the gender you are having. I really pray this one is true - we only agree on girl names. Just two days ago we finally decided on a boy name but I'm still not thrilled about it. I LOVE our girl name so if this Old Wives Tale rings true for us we're having a GIRL

Heart Rate - I don't think most people realize this is an Old Wives Tale. I've had lots of people ask the baby's heart rate to try and figure out what we're having. On Monday I had an Ultrasound and the baby's heart rate was 128. Supposedly if the heart rate is above 140 the baby will be a girl and if it's under 140 it will be a boy. According to this  OWT we're having a BOY

The shape of my belly (another one I don't think everyone realizes is just an Old Wives Tale) If you're carrying high with a big, round belly, you're having a girl. If you are carrying low with a smaller belly that sticks straight out, it's a boy. I am certain that according to this one I'm carrying a girl. The funny thing is though, based off all my Midwife's measurements and my own comfort - I feel like I'm carrying very low. But if you look at a picture of me now versus when I was pregnant with Zachary - I definitely look higher, and rounder. I think my side-by-side pictures are the biggest reason so many people think I'm having a girl. I look so different than my last pregnancy! So this one goes to GIRL




Cravings... if you are craving salty foods it's a boy and if you crave sweet foods it's a girl. The only craving I have had this whole pregnancy is for fruit... so GIRL


..........

So that's helpful...... all I can determine is that we're having a BABY! There is a drugstore test you can buy that also allegedly determines the gender of your baby but it's $35 and I can't seem to find one anywhere around here so I'm going to skip that test. I'll save my $35 for a rainy day.

I get asked often what I "want" the gender of our baby to be. I guess there might be a lot of people out there that have a preference for the sex of their child but I'm not one of them. I just don't think it matters. After everything we've been through with Zachary we just want a healthy baby. Plus, even if we did have a preference, finding out the gender at our 20 week ultra sound isn't going to change anything. I really want a boy and I really want a girl. All for completely different reasons. I am so excited to meet my child, no matter what the gender.

One week and three days until my due date...... and I'm ready. I am still crossing things off the Pre-Baby-To-Do List every day (like finishing this post) but all the important things are done. My arms ache to hold my child and I desperately DESPERATELY want to see my baby's face. 

Stay tuned to find out what the gender of our child is, to find out the special name we have chosen for it, and to see the beautiful finger print of God across it's face. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment